Here’s another Melinda!
I planned and made several long-sleeved tops for work, in order to streamline my appearance at work during the cold months. However, since these are work tops, I didn’t want to put too much work into these garments. Enter, the Melinda Knit Tunic.
Debuted last winter, Melinda needed only small tweaks in order to fit perfectly. I really cannot crow enough about Style Arc’s patterns! Intelligently designed and true to size, they’re absolutely worth every penny. You do have to pay shipping when ordering their paper patterns, but you also get a free pattern with your order. If that’s not enough of a deal for you, though, Style Arc now offers PDF patterns on Etsy. Try Style Arc!!! You will not regret it.
As a typical narrow-shouldered pear shape, I found the neckline on this to be too wide. I also needed a smidge more room for my full biceps. Working from the size 22, I scooped the front and back armholes by a quarter inch each, and added half an inch at the armhole edge of the sleeve, tapered to nothing at the wrist. I did some crazy funkiness with the neckline and it ended up working out…thank goodness. When I make this top again, I’ll have to work out a better way to narrow the front neckline without altering the back neckline.
I also scooped the back neck by half an inch. That’s an alteration I have to make on every pattern. Finally, I lengthened the whole top by half an inch through the lower half. That sounds like a lot of alterations but really it was me getting things perfect: easy to do when the base pattern is so good. With Style Arc patterns, I don’t have to compromise on fit like I have to do with some other pattern companies!
As far as sewing/design, I made some tweaks on this top. Firstly, I put the lower back on the fold instead of cutting two pieces. This was to speed up the construction of this top, which is both clever and effortless. The other change I made was to use all one fabric for it, instead of the contrast it calls for. This was another change made for speed and ease–contrast tops are nice, but when I’m churning out clothes they just need to get done. Finding the right contrast and figuring out what to do with the rest of it after I take a smidge for the contrast is way too much effort.
I admit this is a post well after the fact; I made a bunch of long sleeve tops I’m going to share with you, but when I did an inventory of my wardrobe I realized I have a glut of tops and a dearth of pants. So, top production has been put on hold. Which is sad, because they’re so fast and easy and so good for busting stash…