It seems like all I do is sew TNTs, but with patterns like Butterick B6041, can you blame me? In one year, I’ve sewn this dress up five times and I’m planning at least one more for this summer. This pattern is great because it goes up to the larger plus sizes sizes, it makes a very practical and comfortable garment, and it’s easy to hack.
For this version I used that Girl Charlee fabric to make a maxi dress … and HATED it. It was the ugliest, frumpiest dress I’d ever seen. I was so disappointed. The worst part was that it fit perfectly! The bodice, the hip width, the length — my modifications were spot on. I couldn’t throw away a perfectly fitting dress, so I kept it.
Thank goodness, right? I decided the problem was the fabric — it’s too stiff and thick to make a good maxi. Desperate for something to wear on a recent hot day, I lopped 20″ off the length to turn it into a practical little tank dress. It’s so comfy! It feels like wearing pajamas in public.
I finished the armholes and neckline by folding over 3/8″ and twin needle stitching with a 2.5mm wide needle. Fast, easy, and cute. Twin needle stitching is the bees knees! Finishing the hem will happen but it’s not a priority, and I left the seam allowances raw because I plan to wear this dress through the summer and then donate it. Do you ever get lazy with garments you don’t think you’ll keep for long? Does it ever bite you in the butt?
Before seeing these photos I’d wanted to widen the straps and lower the neckline, but the photo evidence suggests no changes are needed. In fact, the upper bodice sits quite well! But did I record the hacks I made to achieve this dress? *hangs head* Ah, well — c’est la vie. I can enjoy this dress all the more! Or attempt to figure out my hacks…
On the plus side, I finally road tested Snowey (my new camera) with my tripod and shiny new camera remote. BLISS!!! It was so cool to be able to take the outdoor shots all the cool bloggers take. :-p I headed out early to avoid curious eyes, but ended up doing another shoot later in the morning right on a fairly busy residential street corner across from a construction site. Whew! I do think I’ll keep shooting outdoors through the summer, nonetheless.
The best part of all this is that the 20″ I lopped off the bottom of the failed maxi dress is just the right length to turn into a skirt in its own right. So from one failed dress comes a successful dress and (hopefully) a successful skirt!
[No one reviewed this pattern on Pattern Review, so here you go!]