Yikes! I had such grand visions of Sexy Month, and then I couldn’t even post for a week. I can’t change the past, but I can do better moving forward. #SexyWeek is going to be postponed to later in the month, because I definitely want to do that right.
Happily, part of the reason I’ve been away from the blog has been adjusting to a new assignment which I am loving — and which also affords me several hours of daylight to sew when I come home from work. So I’ve got a couple of makes to show you, the first of which I “finished” yesterday. I still need to sew buttons up the back, but I never do that stuff when I finish my garments. I think it’s a holdover from my knitting days, but sewing and finishing are two different activities and occur on different days.
I love this dress.
So much love/Me went into this make. The technical bits are that I added 3/4″ to the front side seam at the waist, tapered to nothing at the armhole. I didn’t stitch any of the darts because my waist is currently wearing thirty extra pounds and needs the space. :p I also shortened the skirt length in such a way that I simultaneously increased the hip. I shortened and tapered the sleeve by about 2″ each. I also narrowed the sleeve hem depth to a 1/4″ double fold. I used clear elastic to strengthen the shoulder, side skirt, and waist seams.
The artistic bits are so many. Firstly, I have no clue when or where I bought this fabric, so I knew I had one chance to make it good. I cut the skirt with the chevrons running width-wise and then got creative with the remaining yardage! I decided to cut the sleeves with width-wise chevrons and the front and back with length-wise chevrons. I inset a 1″ strip down the CB flanked by 1/4″ piping and self-faced it, to enclose all the seams. (So. Many. Layers.) The strip had width-wise chevrons to contrast with the back pieces. I cut the neck band also with the chevrons running width wise, for contrast. And I gathered the top of the sleeve for a slight puffed look, to give some width to my narrow shoulders.
The fabric I used had a wide, white selvage, which I used for the back piping and the neck band facing pieces. I then rolled the facing 1/16″ toward the front to make a piped edge to the neck band. I am extremely proud to report I did that BY HAND. In other words, no pins, no measuring, just really careful machine stitching. If you ever saw my first garments, you would know what a feat that neck band piping is. :) Finally, I finished the skirt hem the way I love to finish skirt hems — I don’t. That’s right, sewers: I leave my hems raw as often as I possibly can. I hate rules, and so raw hems are my own private rebellion. (That being said, I’m actually quite good at hemming garments. Go figure.)
I’d wanted to wear this dress to work, but I think it would be too much on my current assignment. There’s a wedding in my extended family coming up next month, so my mother suggested I wear this dress there. Had I a husband/boyfriend, I’d totally wear this dress to celebrate our anniversary, or go to holiday parties, or something. But I don’t. So, it looks like I’m going to have to make up a reason to wear this well sewn, beautiful confection!