As we all know, I love polyester ITY. It’s my (very) guilty pleasure. I could make an entire wardrobe from the stuff!
Which is why I bought this piece to make a tunic, despite that I do not wear tunics. So, it hung out in my stash for awhile, with all the other ITY cuts I had ‘plans’ for. Then I decided it would be perfect for pants, but I wasn’t sewing pants at the time…so it hung out some more.
A tunic takes less fabric than a pair of pants, so I had to use contrast fabric for the waistband — some black ribbing leftover from my Cookie Blouson jacket. I liked the look of it, so I made cuffs from the ribbing, too! Then realized I’d made a knock off of True Bias’ Hudson Pant. I’ve long admired the Hudson Pant, but assumed it didn’t come in large sizes and so never bought it. Oh well, no need to now.
The pockets on this pattern are perfect. Right size, right shape, right depth. I’m beginning to add pockets to my new makes, even drafting my own where there are none. Pockets are freedom! (Sorry for the blurry photo! This was the only decent hands-in-pocket shot I had.)
This is my third go with this pattern, and the only difference between version 2.0 and this one is that I lowered the center front by about 2″. My waist is lower in front than in back due to a large derriere. Even with a full lower abdomen, I need significantly less fabric in front than in back. This is an alteration I have to make to every pants pattern, but generally do last after length adjustments and grading up.
After making this pair, I rewarded myself by making another pair in a very different fabric. Stay tuned…