Seriously. Give this woman a drink!
This coat is KICKING MY BUTT!
It finally dawned on me that this is not really a my-first-coat project. A lined and interlined knit coat using a Lekala pattern. Hmmm…
Anyway, enough ranting. I started it, and I’m deep in it, I might as well finish.
This is my fourth post on this project; it looks like I’m giving you all an update every four weeks or so. I don’t always do a ton in a four week span, as this project is my background project, but I really hope to be finished by the end of March (by which time I hope to no longer need this coat, as it should be spring). So, one bit of progress from the last post is that I feel comfortable setting a deadline for myself.
Another bit of progress is that I finally have a sense of the shape and silhouette of the coat. As I mentioned before, the pattern pieces didn’t match the line drawing. So I wasn’t sure of what I’d get. I did see some other generous soul on Lekala’s project, but her version was so straightforward and sewn in such a dark fabric that it only gave me a rough gist of things…or so I thought. In actuality, her version told much of the truth about this coat! It’s basically a straight, double breasted, 3/4 length coat with a giant hood and side front slant pockets.
I will probably make this coat one more time in simpler fabrics, to perfect the pattern, but I’m honestly not thrilled with the shape of it. I feel that wearing this sort of silhouette obscures my figure and makes the garment stand out a ton. Which is not the look I’m going for! I’ve had my fair share of overpowering coats, I want something more subtle now. Moving forward, I think I should try coats with a defined shape, or less ease.
The status of the work right now is that I’ve assembled the entire interlining with the hood separate from the body. For whatever reason, I did not cut the front facing pieces out of the interlining, and without those pieces the hood is longer than the neckline seam. To remedy this, I’m going to baste the interlining to the lining, then sew on the front facing pieces to the lining/interlining combo. Then I can add the fully interlined hood to the mix, as the two edges will be the right length at this point. The fashion fabric shell is complete with hoods, but lacks sleeves, and the lining body is done but also needs sleeves.
I need to finish all the sleeves and add them to their respective armholes; not sure how I’m going to sew everything together, though. I will say that I have made six — 6!!! — sleeves for this project: two fashion fabric (which are trimmed in faux fur), two interlining, and two lining (which are trimmed in faux fur). And we’re talking two piece sleeves. All told, that’s twenty total pieces of fabric that needed to be joined in order to make six sleeves, which then had to be inserted into six armholes. Just call me crazy.
I hope the next installment of this series is the last!